On March 26, 2019, the U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Manufacturing, Trade, and Consumer Protection held a hearing titled, “Small Business Perspectives on a Federal Data Privacy Framework.” In his opening statement, Chairman Jerry Moran (R-KS) stated, “the focus of today’s hearing is to emphasize the specific concerns of small and new businesses and how they utilize and protect consumer information within their operations.” The Chairman, as well as the witnesses, touched on the passage of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and the importance of creating a clear and consistent federal standard for consumer privacy.
- Justin Brookman, Director, Privacy and Technology Policy for Consumer Reports
- Nina Dosanjh, Vice Chair, Technology Policy Committee, National Association of Realtors
- Jefferson England, Chief Financial Officer, Silver Star Communications
- Evan Engstrom, Executive Director, Engine Advocacy and Research Foundation
- Ryan Weber, President, KC Tech Council
To view the hearing in its entirety, click here.